Thursday, January 15, 2015

ODE TO THE HOMELESS VETERAN

Go Away! I heard him say.
You homeless bum be on your way!
He pushed me and punched me.
He was not at all kind to me.
What ever happened to this land of the free?
Apparently freedom, no longer applies to me.

I have no family who will take me in
They put me off and say I'm living in sin.
They think that I'm disposable,
But I'm a human being just like you.
Such a statement should not be opposable,
But I'm treated like an old worn out shoe.

People don't usually see me here standing in the rain.
They never see that I am a human, and that I'm in much pain.
You see I fought for my country when I went to a foreign land,
When I came home there was no fanfare, no band.
I came back only to find no help for me,
My broken body, soul, and mind,
Makes people uncomfortable, they leave me behind.
People see me as a bum, a loafer, and lazy.
They call me an addict, and mentally crazy.

What I am is a human being just like you.
I deserve to be treated with dignity too.
Although I'm broke and broken, don't judge me so severe,
For one day, if circumstances dictate, you also could be here.
Be kind to all  people you come across in life,
No matter who they may be, we all experience strife.

Everyone deserves a home to call their own.
Everyone deserves to be cared for, and kindness shown.
Will you be the one to help make an opportunity for me to feel loved?
Or will you continue on your way, not caring, and giving me a shove.
Humanity needs a reset and to let greed, and ego go.
People need to become humane to each other, and allow humanity to grow.

~ Linda Meyer

No comments:

Post a Comment